Instead of sitting down to binge-watch hours of Netflix again, why not get off the couch and bake a few sweet treats? From thick swirling batter to twisted dough, check out this list of yummy recipes that are sure to bring some sweetness to social distancing.
You can’t go wrong with a batch of fudge brownies to lift your spirits. These decadent desserts ooze with melted chocolate on the first bite. With a prep and cook time totaling about 30 minutes, these brownies are a quick fix for any sweet tooth. The best part? You can customize them to your own taste preference. Add some walnuts, peanut butter chips or a dash of cinnamon for an added kick. After a quick bake in the oven, enjoy a tray of these homemade favorites with your family.
- 1 cup 8 oz unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1/4 cups white sugar
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 7 oz large chocolate chips
Click this link for a step-by-step guide on how to get started.
It seems like banana bread has become THE quarantine staple snack. So do you want to turn those brown bananas in your kitchen into a delicious treat? Try this super easy recipe. Although it takes a bit of time, it’s worth it. Plus, this versatile dessert can be devoured any time of the day — have it with your morning coffee or make it a sweet treat after dinner. The secret to great banana bread is to use the spotty and mushy bananas you’d usually plan to toss out. This will control how moist and flavorful your banana bread turns out. Not only is this a classic treat for your taste buds, but it will fill your home with a sweet aroma — nothing tops the smell of banana bread baking in the oven.
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1¼ teaspoons baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- ⅓ cup mascarpone, plain whole-milk Greek yogurt or sour cream
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 large eggs
- 4 large very ripe bananas, mashed
- ½ cup chopped bittersweet or semisweet chocolate (optional)
- ½ cup chopped walnuts (optional)
Check out these instructions from Bon Appétit for the full instructions.
Cinnamon Crunch Knots
If you’re feeling ambitious, try making a batch of these delicious delights. Although they look a bit advanced, all it takes is twisting some dough and popping a trayinto the oven to achieve this golden-brown dessert. To start, you can use pre-made dough, or whip some up yourself. With a prep time of about 30 minutes and a bake time of about 20 minutes , you’ll be drooling over these cinnamon knots in no time. The best part about these sweet and spicy desserts is that the ingredients are minimal, and ones you likely already have lying around your kitchen. The warm cinnamon flavor infused in these knots will keep you pining for more.
- 2 1/2 – 3 cups white whole wheat or all-purpose flour, plus more as needed
- 1 packet (2 1/4 teaspoons) instant yeast
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup warm water or warm milk
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 7 tablespoons salted butter, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Click this link for directions and a video tutorial to bake this dessert to perfection.
words_samantha velez design_rachel rader