It’s true, not everyone is the jock type. Fortunately, this doesn’t mean you have to miss out on one of the greatest University of Miami traditions.
Sportsfest is the time of year every residential college on campus (plus commuters) compete in a variety of events for the chance to take home the Sportsfest trophy and bragging rights for the next year.
If you are the person who refuses to do this “sport” thing everyone is pumped about, lucky for you there are tons of events for people who are sport-challenged just refuse to get sweaty and stinky. If you fall into any of these categories, here is Distraction’s guide to Sportsfest, non-athlete style.
1. Table Tennis: (aka ping pong) Get a chance to crush your opponents inside an air conditioned room.
2. Mario Kart: We know you Mario Kart fans are out there. So why not take a chance to beat up on other floors while doing something you already do in your spare time.
3. Sodoku: Numbers may be your game, rep your floor as a true brain game champ.
4. Speed Checkers: A game based on speed, not your grandma’s checker match.
5. Connect Four: All of us remember connect four from our elementary school days. If you were the school yard champ, its time to become the college champ.
6. Food: Lucky for all of us no UM festivities come without food. There will be free Kind bars, Coffe-Mate, and Coke products everyone who participates in Sportsfest. Thats enough motivation for us, what about for you?
And if none of these sound appealing, just come out and support. There is nothing like seeing your floor-mates dominate. Plus it gives you a chance to flaunt your oh-so-punny and inappropriate T-shirt.