We’re already well into the second half of summer, so we think it’s about time we showed you just how distraction likes to (summer) roll when it comes to getting our daily serving of fresh veggies and produce. These delicious summer rolls – our take on the timeless spring roll – are both refreshing and packed with seasonal flavors. They can be served as a light meal or a heavier snack, depending on your timing. Hit the farmers market and the grocery store for fresh ingredients, grab a couple of friends and start rolling!
– 1 package rice paper wraps
– 1 package rice noodles
– 1 avocado
– 1 mango
– 1 green/purple cabbage (each)
– 1 head of iceberg lettuce
– assorted bell peppers
– 3-4 carrots
– 1 cucumber
– 1 tbsp roasted black/white sesame seed (optional)
– your favorite veggies… be creative!
- Prep rice noodles according to package. Soak in hot water for approximately 5 minutes. Let cool.
- Prep veggies/desired ingredients in long thin strips
- Slice bell pepper like so
- Cut out inner parts
- Thinly slice
- Use peeler to get long strips of carrots
- Cut cabbage & lettuce into quarters and remove stem
- Use mandolin or knife to slice as thinly as possible
- Arrange all ingredients on surface
- Dip rice paper in a plate of water once, covering the surface. It may be stiff at first, but it will soften as it gets filled with your other ingredients. Don’t soak the rice paper for too long or it will become soggy.
- Place paper on surface and fill with ingredients
- Roll, insuring to tuck edges in so no ingredients fall out
- Garnish with sesame seeds and dip into your favorite sauce (read on for our suggested sauce)
PEANUT DIPPING SAUCE
– ¾ cup peanut butter
– ¼ cup soy sauce
– 1 tbsp sesame oil
– 1 tbsp rice vinegar
– 2 tbsp honey
– 2 tbsp water
– 1 tbsp sriracha chili garlic sauce
- Whisk all ingredients together
- Adjust any amount of ingredient if desired
There are endless possibilities when it comes to summer rolls, so get creative and try out some new takes. Use different combinations of ingredients and see what you do and don’t like. Let this serve as a base example or inspiration. For instance, you could enhance this recipe by seasoning your veggies with your favorite spices, stirring the rice noodles with soy sauce, rice vinegar and sesame oil or rolling in fresh herbs like basil/mint/cilantro. Be sure to try out some different dipping sauces with your creations, as well.