Whether you were sporting your teeny weeny bikini in the tropics, bundled up in Prada scarves braving the chilly weather, or even decked out in your jammies (apparently the pajama trend is still hot) snoozing the days away, the new year is upon us.
Check out these upcoming trends and let’s resolve that 2014 will be the most fashionably smashing year yet!
1. We’ve got the blues – sky, navy, baby, and dazzling that is! While 2014 fashion arrives with a bang, this color is revived in more than just our tears of joy. Blue is the new black so adding a daily piece of blue is a total do. You can even mix different shades to provide ample variety in showcasing your closet staples.
2. Being a bomber babe is just that cool. Brave the indoor air-conditioned chill with this super versatile piece. Leopard print fabric, faux leather, and polka dots are just a sprinkling of the many ways to wear this trend. An easy addition to your closet, you can find this trend at the always reliable Forever 21 or invest in a staple piece from Tracy Reese. In this garment, the only real question is: fight or flight?
3. While 2014 signals the arrival of new trends, it also signals departures. We say so long to punk couture and, hopefully, every failed Miley reincarnation of this trend (spikey hair, don’t care….no thanks). So, drop it like it’s not hot because this trend is totally out!
4. Wearing clothes. Yes, we are serious. As mentioned in our Keep It Classy, Miami post, wearing the least amount of clothing is usually not the most flattering. Peek-a-boo sheer panels, belly baring crop tops, and cleavage bearing pieces are replaced with more modern ladylike dress. We can thank the heavens Burberry for this much needed change. The three f’s – flattering, feminine, and floral are all acceptable attire to ring in 2014.
5. Pleat, please! This wearable trend enters 2014 with bang represented on the runway by top designers like Chloe, Zac Posen, and Alexander Wang. You can feel pretty in a pleated skirt paired with a simple tucked in tank or for those feeling bold, purchasing a pleated, belted mini-dress is a resolution you will be glad to keep. A closet staple, this trend isn’t going anywhere. Add a layered necklace for an extra touch and even some jeweled sandals, if you dare. You can be certain 2014 will bow down to your fashion sense.
words_alyssa jacobson. illustration_sarbarni ghosh