Wynwood is a magical place. By day, it’s filled with coffee drinkers galore hanging out by Panther Coffee, hipster glasses and all. By night, you get the bar hopping party scene, hipster glasses probably still included. Regardless at what time you go or where you end up, there are a few thoughts that inevitably cross everyone’s mind as they enter the wonderfully confusing world of Wynwood.
1. There sure are a lot of man buns here. Walking into Wynwood, you’ll notice one thing is plentiful: the man buns. There are low buns and high buns, done in every way imaginable. It is difficult to imagine why men would forgo time-saving primping habits by adding this to their styling routines and even harder to find a guy who actually looks good with a man bun, but with the rise of baldness as a result of them this trend will hopefully fade. Fingers crossed.
2. “I don’t even like art.” Contrary to popular belief, a lot of people who frequent Wynwood don’t even like art. Thus it is very possible that you got dragged there by some of your artsy friends only to find yourself in a gallery wondering what the heck is so special about a bunch of cubes put together to make something resembling a figure.
3. You cry on the off chance your favorite food truck isn’t there. Wynwood is known for the gourmet food trucks that have regulars lining up for their deliciousness. They aren’t always there though, thus the mobile aspect, and when all you want in life is a grilled cheese from Ms. Cheezious it is totally understandable to be really upset. Absence makes the heart grow fonder?
4. Why is the line so long at Wood? Wood Tavern is a Wynwood staple on a Wednesday, but if you’re a newbie you probably don’t know that. Free drinks attract girls, which subsequently attracts guys making the line wrap around the corner.
5. We should probably walk in groups at nights. Wynwood may be cool and hip, but it is surrounded by a less-than-great neighborhood, which elevates its crime index. It is probably in everyone’s best interest to use the buddy system at night, especially if you’re a woman because that’s the kind of world we live in, sadly.
6. You can’t decide which wall is your favorite. From cool abstract lines to animals and cupcakes, there is wall art to match all tastes and outfits. But when there’s an Instagram-worthy wall around every corner, it can get overwhelming. Just like with the sidewalk quotes, take all the pictures. It’s not your fault that both the roaring tiger wall and the graffiti wall speak to your soul.
7. Art Walk is so overrated. You show up to Art Walk thinking that maybe this time it will be better. But after spending 30 minutes looking for parking and another 30 simply waiting in line to get into Wynwood Walls you realize it’s just like every other time. The only awesome thing is the cart that sells rum in a coconut. We see you.
8. This is so much more chill than South Beach. Unless you attend the aforementioned Art Walk, you will find that Wynwood is much more laid back than SoBe. You don’t have to dress up to have a good time, there aren’t absurd cover charges and the atmosphere is definitely less stuffy. It is a cheaper though equally awesome alternative to weekend outings, especially if you’re down to explore a couple of new spots.
Cindy Ferreiro is a senior majoring in political science and English literature. She loves fine wine and hopes to one day take over D.C. When she’s around, there’s no need to fret- it’s handled.
words_ cindy ferreiro. photos_giphy & thewynwoodwalls.com