It’s been a hype year for the music scene, to say the least. The seemingly infinite stream of big releases from the world’s biggest artists in combination with a wave of rising talent has made for a very exciting movement. Because singers constantly draw inspiration from one another, there is bound to be some degree of similarity. If you’ve been craving something more than your current go-to playlist, check out some of these up and coming artists based on your current music preference.
- Like Mumford and Sons? Give a listen to Lord Huron. Both folk groups are notable for their breathtaking harmonies, heavily layered sound and instrumental breaks.
- Like Adele? Try out Gallant. If you have a soft spot for smooth R&B and timeless vocals, then Gallant is the artist for you. Reach new heights with this emotionally-rich newcomer.
- Like The 1975? Get down with Los Angeles-based band LANY. From bubbly synths to that ’80s dream pop sound, LANY guarantees an instant dance party anytime their music is played.
- Like Kendrick Lamar? Switch it up from time to time with Anderson .Paak. His collaboration with Dr. Dre gives him an edge over other rappers. Oh, and Kendrick himself is a fan so there is that.
- Like Green Day? Our guess is that Nothing but Thieves does too. The five-piece alt-rock band delivers everything one could miss from the Green Day era, but with a modern edge.
- Like Hozier? Icelandic rocker Kaleo carries a similar vibe. The singer shows off his impeccable range in his album A / B and his big-band sound is much like Hozier’s.
- Like Frank Ocean? Add Raury to your playlist. Both artists put a unique spin on rap, adding soul, blues and even a touch of folk. This new age rapper praises Frank Ocean and this admiration translates into his music.
- Like Jason Mraz? Mr. A-Z’s laid-back acoustic style can be found in Eric Hutchinson’s work. From his untouched voice and catchy melodies to his band’s brassy sound and bold prominence, this singer-songwriter has proved he is worthy of our attention.
- Like Walk the Moon? Brooklyn-based band St. Lucia has a certain giddiness about their songs that emulates a WTM track. Upbeat and playful, St. Lucia is the perfect band to add some fresh pop to your life.
- Like James Brown? Who doesn’t. But sometimes you’re just in the mood for something new and that’s okay. Leon Bridges can be your source of new music while remaining loyal to this truly eclectic sound. Artists like Leon Bridges are keeping traditional funk, soul and R&B alive.
- Like John Mayer? Well imagine John Mayer multiplied by 3 and you get Colony House. The American indie rock trio kills it on the vocals, guitar and drums alike, as does John Mayer.
- Like Coldplay? Hop online and look up The Japanese House on iTunes, Spotify, YouTube, Google, Bing, Yahoo: any means necessary to hear this talented artist. Her songs mix a soothing tone with mellow electronica and mesmerizing synth.