Junior business major Man Xu showcases her style savvy overalls purchased at Snidel, a store in China.
Do you dare wear the onesie? No, we aren’t referring to those egregious footie pajamas. The ‘80s overalls trend has experienced a resurgence. Follow these simple tips on our modern take on wearing overalls, and you can make a fashion statement day or night (without looking like a dreaded farmer).
- You dare to wear it; that means you have the guts to flaunt it! Don’t overdo it up top with necklaces or scarves that may detract from the focus on the piece.
- Think in themes. Do you want to do denim, preppy, or be a leather biker gal? Overalls may be “the” piece but think of them as a center point. There are many different styles of overalls with varying fabrics, colors, and shapes.
- Use the runway as inspiration. Overalls are everywhere. Designers, stores, and celebs alike can provide trend inspiration. Check out J Brand, Topshop, Ralph Lauren, and Katie Holmes for some styling ideas.
- Do them with heels! You’d be surprised how a girl can rock overalls and heels. Stick to staple black and a simple shirt underneath and you can even take this style to the Grove. You may even be the next Regina George.
- Go for the hybrid. If you don’t dare play with overalls, a skirt with straps can be the right option for a girl looking for a safer choice. This instantly adorable look is perfect paired with a simple white tank, gold bangles, some heeled booties and even slightly more subtle with a shortened cardigan.
Business management diva Man Xu shows how her risk-taking abilities will certainly take her far in both the business and fashion world. She paired her dark-toned overalls with vibrant red buckled flip-flops. Her striped burgundy shirt and rolled up pant leg provided the outfit with a bit of a preppy flair. Might we suggest you scour your wardrobe for a fashionable watch or even an extra piece of arm candy as a final added touch?
Excuse our pun but overall, there are so many ways to buckle up this Spring one-piece that you can make it an all-season staple.
words_alyssa jacobson. photos_karli evans.