Check out and follow the full playlist on our Spotify.
Sunday February 2 marks the 12th running of the Miami Marathon and Half Marathon. Up with the sunrise, over 25,000 runners will start on their 13.1 or 26.2 mile run. Whether it’s crushing your own personal goals or running for something bigger than yourself, Distraction has an epic playlist to power you through.
University of Miami students shared their favorite running jams.
Benny Lipson, a senior from Los Angeles recommends ‘Africa’ by Toto while junior Hannah Meister of Sarasota, swears by anything Ellie Goulding.
Amanda Wood, a junior from Stowe, VT, runs to an eclectic mix including Beyoncé, No Doubt, Kaskade and The Rolling Stones.
Junior Karina Rodriguez, a Miami native is set to run her first half marathon. ‘TKO’ by Justin Timberlake is one of her top tracks.
Grace Slawski, President of the UM Running Club, sticks with classic rock.
“I’ll be running the half to all of Led Zeppelin IV, on repeat … but the classic ‘Stairway to Heaven’ completes any running playlist.”
Distraction’s own senior staff members, Managing Editor Alex Solano and Executive Editor Raquel Zaldivar, recommend ‘White Lies’ by Max Frost and ‘Diane Young’ by Vampire Weekend.
1. Timber – Pitbull feat. Ke$ha
(Don’t even try to tell us you don’t blast it in traffic when the windows are safely rolled up)
2. The Monster – Eminem feat. Rihanna
3. Radioactive – Imagine Dragons
4. We Were Us – Keith Urban and Miranda Lambert
5. Thinking About You – Calvin Harris feat. Ayah Marar
(The up-tempo beats helps to keep your pace!)
6. Can’t Hold Us – Macklemore & Ryan Lewis
7. Cruise – Florida Georgia Line feat.
8. Take me Home – Cash Cash feat. Bebe Rexha
9. The Man – Aloe Blacc
(Beats-wearing Colin Kaepernick or not, you ARE the man! (or the woman!) You’re about to do more before 10 am and before most of the U is even awake!)
10. Love More – Chris Brown, Nicki Minaj
11. Harder to Breathe – Maroon 5
12. Gotta Get Thru This – Daniel Bedingfield
13. Why Don’t You Love Me – Beyonce
14. The Lion The Beast The Beat – Grace Potter and The Nocturnals
15. Sweet Nothing – Calvin Harris ft. Florence Welch
16. Fighter – Christina Aguilera
17. Raise Your Weapon – Deadmau5
18. Beautiful, Dirty, Rich – Lady Gaga
19. Hella Good- No Doubt
20. Shattered- The Rolling Stones
21. Atmosphere- Kaskade
22. Bawitdaba- Kid Rock
(Probably one of the first songs your parents actually about-faced “What IS that?!”)
23. Harder, Better Faster – Daft Punk
24. Party Up – DMX
25. Anything could happen – Ellie Goulding
26. Happy – Pharrell Williams
27. Used 2 – 2 Chainz
28. Who Gon Stop Me – Jay Z, Kanye
29. All of the Lights – Kanye West
30. F*ckin Problems – A$AP Rocky feat. Kendrick Lamar and Drake
31. White Walls – Macklemore & Ryan Lewis feat. ScHoolboy Q and Hollis
32. Come and Get It – Selena Gomez
33. Mirrors – Justin Timberlake
34. Burn – Ellie Goulding
35. Do What U Want – Lady Gaga feat. R. Kelly
36. Team – Lorde
37. Poetic Justice – Kendrick Lamar
38. Thrift Shop – Macklemore & Ryan Lewis feat. Wanz
39. Rock Your Body – Justin Timberlake
40. Africa – Toto
41. White Lies – Max Frost
42. Diane Young – Vampire Weekend
43. TKO – Justin Timberlake
44. Royals – Lorde
45. Take Back the Night – Justin Timberlake
46. Tom Ford – Jay Z
47. Lose Yourself – Eminem
48. Fighter – Gym Class Heroes
49. The Pretender – Foo Fighters
50. Ready to Start – Arcade Fire
*Thank you to all who contributed to the compilation of this epic playlist _Jacqueline Allen, Malik Bibby, Mark Buchholz, Chris Dalton, Crystal Crawford DubhGhaill, Kate Geldmacher, Lyssa Goldberg, Benny Lipson, Erin McLaughlin, Jenna McLaughlin, Hannah Meister, Tim Norton, Steve Patterson, Stephen Quinones, Karina Rodriguez, Arielle Ray, Mike Simonelli, Grace Slawski, Alex Solano, Ali Spillane, Brian Spillane, Chuck Spillane, Tessa Spillane, Steven Kasey Varga, Nicole Vila, Amanda Wood, Raquel Zaldivar.