Unearth the magic of crystals and learn how to align your mind, body and soul using this ancient healing art.
In their raw form, crystals are believed to harness and transfer energy that balance one’s mind, body and soul. They are also advertised for their healing powers and energy, according to a Stanford News article written by Alex Shashkevich. Spanning across cultures, religions and walks of life, crystals have been used as a tool to absorb, focus and direct energy for centuries. Early Greeks and Romans utilized crystal armor for protection and health. Mayans charged crystals to diagnose and treat illnesses. It is believed that the ancient Egyptians built the pyramids in a crystalline structure topped with a giant crystal to ground cosmic forces. All according to Katrina Raphaell, at least. Raphaell is a trailblazer in contemporary crystal use and author of “Crystal Enlightenment: The Transforming Properties of Crystals and Healing Stones.” The book is meant to be a guide for first-time crystal users—it outlines everything from crystal history to their myriad types and uses. In the book, Raphaell said that the most common forms of crystal usage include jewelry, gifts, personal stones, programming (a form of projecting your thoughts into crystals) and group healing meditations.
Every crystal has its own purpose, so choosing one really depends on what the user is looking for. “If a crystal is yours, then it will speak to you. The stone may get hot in your hand, it can send tingles into your arm or you might feel a third-eye buzz,” said Colleen McCann, a certified shamanic energy medicine practitioner in an article for Goop, Gwenyth Paltrow’s lifestyle brand. “Trust your intuition when a stone is yours. If it doesn’t feel quite right, then go with your gut—it’s not meant for you.”
Although there is no verifiable medical or scientific evidence behind their transformative powers, crystal users like University of Miami senior Camila Munera claim that just being in the presence of crystals is enough to feel their energies and healing powers. “I feel closer to nature through it,” said Munera, who has a large collection of crystals that she said she uses for meditation, anxiety relief and jewelry. Munera said that she is naturally gravitated toward aquamarine, her birthstone, for its “intuition and communication properties.” For her, the crystals can be very therapeutic. “Almost all of them help deal with stress and harvest good energy,” she said, “something every college student could surely use help with.” Many individuals swear by their powers, so keep and open mind and see what crystals can offer your mind, body and soul.
MIAMI CRYSTAL STORES
8805 SW 132 St | Miami, FL 33176
Five Sisters carries all types of metaphysical supplies as well as services such as spiritual readings and energy healing via phone and Zoom calls.
The Golden Triangle
2308 Galiano St | Coral Gables, FL 33134
This boutique offers a variety of products including incense, oils, furniture, singing bowls and jewelry intended for peace, love, health and prosperity.
The Harmony Store
7572 SW 117th Ave | Miami, FL 33183
The Harmony Store is a small shop that carries a wide assortment of crystals, stones and beads to satisfy all your metaphysical needs.
3444 Main Hwy Unit 3 | Coconut Grove, FL 33133
Products found at Celestial Treasures include crystals, incense, candles, tarot cards and more that can help you along your spiritual journey.
- AMETHYST: a stone of spiritual protection and purification. It can cleanse one’s energy field of negative influences act as a barrier against lower energies, psychic attack, geopathic stress and unhealthy environments.
- CITRINE: helps strengthen self-esteem and provides a positive, vibrant flow of energy in and around one’s body.
- CLEAR QUARTZ: enhances psychic abilities, aids concentration and unlocks memories. Known to bring the body into balance.
- MALACHITE: an important protection stone that absorbs negative energies and pollutants, picking them up from the atmosphere and from the body.
- OPAL: intensifies emotions and releases inhibitions. It may also act as an emotional stabilizer. Wearing opal is said to bring about loyalty and faithfulness.
- ROSE QUARTZ: a universal love stone that guides your heart chakra to open up to love—self love, romantic connections and family.
- SELENITE: provides clarity of the mind and helps expand one’s awareness of self. It is a calming stone that instils deep peace and is excellent for meditation or spiritual work.
words_kathryn ford. design_lauren maingot. photo_teagan polizzi.
This article was published in Distraction’s winter 2020 print issue.